PRINCESS THEATRE - Raising the Curtain: CRUISIN' IN HARRIMAN IS DOWN RIGHT FUN!

Thursday, June 18, 2009

CRUISIN' IN HARRIMAN IS DOWN RIGHT FUN!



Last Saturday was my first visit to a “Cruisin’ in Harriman” classic car show, but it won’t be my last! I was thoroughly impressed by the number and quality of cars attending the meet. They were lined up on both sides of Roane Street from the Harriman Utility Building all the way down to the old Miller & Brewer Building. The street was alive with local people looking at the old classic and hotrod cars. I took over 75 photos and still didn’t capture them all. CLICK HERE to see my car shots!

I was also impressed by the sound quality of the music coming out of the speakers all up and down Roane Street. It was perfect and I even got a photo of the sound system that makes it all possible. It’s state of the art equipment, and you have no trouble hearing or understanding what’s being played. Makes you want to dance!

The car shows are held the 2nd Saturday in each month during the summer…come on down! They usually begin around 3:30 and all the cars “cruise” out of town around 6:30.

I saw some old friends and met lots of nice people…people like Katie Barnett, this year’s “Miss Polk Salad”! I asked David Webb why it’s spelled “polk” and he pointed out Elvis spelled it that way (actually it was Tony Joe White who wrote the song) in “Polk Salad Annie”! I had long wondered, and now I know!

Gary Baker, one of the original “Hooray for Harriman” organizers, was kind enough to drive me around in a golf cart. “Cruisin’” actually spun off of the “Hooray” Labor Day celebrations, and gets bigger with each show.

Gary also took the time to show me inside the building that will become the radio and TV studios next door to the Princess Theater. This building, to the left of the theater, and the building to the right will become part of the “complex” of entertainment and communications once the “dream” comes alive. The building on the right will be the teleconferencing center. The main theater will be reserved for stage shows, parties, and other local events.

Anyway, I just wanted you to see some of the volunteers that make the downtown events happen, see some of the cars, and let you know that the Princess dream is alive and well.

See you soon…hopefully at Brooks Benjamin’s premiere at the Roane State Theater Friday the 26th! Get your tickets now…they’re only $5!

1 comment:

FHB said...

Loved all those car shots. Looks like a wonderful day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails