PRINCESS THEATRE - Raising the Curtain: WHAT WAS I THINKING...I'M NOT THE ONLY PHOTOGRAPHER OUT THERE!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

WHAT WAS I THINKING...I'M NOT THE ONLY PHOTOGRAPHER OUT THERE!

I wasn’t the only photographer at the Grand Opening of the Princess Theatre on March the 22nd, as many of you who took a camera probably know. Me, being the principal historical photographer inside the theater, I knew others enjoying the opening that night had cameras, but I also knew I’d probably never get to see most of the photos shot.

Just this week I stumbled upon a series of photos that quickly struck me as being fantastic, and worthy of being documented here as part of the future legacy of the 2012 Princess re-opening. Those shots*, detailed below, were made by a local talented man, most of you know...Jason Mynatt! I really don’t know if I’ve ever met Jason, but I know Ken well, so he has to be a great person!

However, I plan on making it a goal of mine to meet him one day soon and to talk cameras!

This first photo was the one that really got my attention first. It first glance it appears to be the same original 1939 photo we’ve all seen before, except this time, there is what appears to be a cowboy, carrying a guitar, walking under the marquee. What a great shot! Honestly, I’m so jealous of this shot. First because I also wanted that shooting advantage that night, but it was never arranged for me, and I didn’t take the initiative to find access myself! Second, the shot is remarkable!

The shot seems perfectly arranged and the lighting is perfect, and I would have spent minutes clicking away at different settings to come close to capturing the moment. However, Jason did this with a few tweaks to the Hipstamatic “app” on his iPhone! Yes, his iPhone! Notice the difference between the first and second shots. The first is the iPhone and the second is his trusty Canon EOS 30D. Proving once again that it’s not the camera, but the photographer’s eye!

I just wanted you all to enjoy these shots, as did I, and put them in a place that hopefully would preserve them for the future to enjoy!
Details of black and white “cowboy” photo:
Date: 3/22/12 8:44 PM Dimensions: 1936 x 1936 pixels File Name: The Princess and the Cowboy.jpg File Size: 747.42K Camera: 250 (iPhone with Hipstamatic App) Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15) Aperture: f/2.8 Focal Length: 3.85 mm ISO Speed: 400 Exposure Bias: - Flash Used: No
Details of black and white empty photo:
Date: 3/22/12 9:41 PM Dimensions: 2327 x 2918 pixels File Name: IMG_0535.JPG File Size: 1.17M Camera: Canon EOS 30D Exposure: 0.6 sec (1/2) Aperture: f/11 Focal Length: 24 mm ISO Speed: 100 Exposure Bias: - Flash Used: No 
Details of color photo:
Date: 3/22/12 9:14 PM Dimensions: 2833 x 2272 pixels File Name: IMG_0262.JPG File Size: 1.88M Camera: Canon EOS 30D Exposure: 0.125 sec (1/8) Aperture: f/3.5 Focal Length: 24 mm ISO Speed: 100 Exposure Bias: - Flash Used: No
 
So the next time I start to think I shot something good, I’m going to remember these photos by Jason. I’m not the only one out there that knows their way around a camera!
You can find these and other shots at KJMImages on Etsy, and probably at Tennessee's Finest Awards & Frameworks. It’s worth your time to browse his photos.

My thanks to Jason Mynatt for allowing me to post these shots here, and for bringing me down a notch.
*NOTE: These shots are from small files, so you know the “real” things have to be great!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails